Some of the best cupcakes I have ever tasted, the flavours are amazing!
Taken from the Hummingbird Bakery ‘Cake Days’ recipe book.
For the sponge:
15g hot chocolate powder
5g espresso powder
80g soft unsalted butter
280g plain flour
1tbsp baking powder (I was surprised at this huge quantity but it works!)
For the frosting:
30g hot-chocolate powder
500g icing sugar
160g soft butter
(this makes a lot of frosting! I made half of the above amounts and had plenty spare)
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees, gas Mark 5. Line a muffin tray with muffin cases.
2. For the sponge, warm the milk without boiling it, then remove from the heat and stir in the coffee and hit chocolate powders until dissolved. Set aside.
3. Using a electric whisk, freestanding mixer or by hand, mix butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt together until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. If mixing by hand like I did, cream the butter and sugar first to get an even texture.
4. Break the eggs into a jug, pour in the flavoured milk and whisk together by hand. Pour 3/4 of the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix to combine. Continue mixing in the freestanding mixer or by hand until you have a smooth batter. Add the remaining milk mixture and mix until all the ingredients are incorporated. Don’t worry if the batter looks too runny, it works in the oven.
5. Spoon the batter into paper cases to about 2/3 full. Any leftover mixture can be put into extra cases. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until risen and springy. Take them out and poke a cocktail stick into the centre, if it comes out clean they are done. Leave to cool completely before adding frosting.
6. To make the frosting, warm the milk in a saucepan and add the chocolate powder until well dissolved. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
7. Whisk the icing sugar and the butter with an electric mixer or by hand until the mixture is sandy textured. Whisk in the flavoured milk and continue to whisk until the mixture becomes light and fluffy.
8. Top the cupcakes with the frosting and decorate however you choose.
Very tasty, moist cupcakes that are not too sweet or overpowered by chocolate.