Peanut Butter and Nutella Macaroons
All day, I have just wanted to get home and make macaroons! Only to find we had no cream and I was feeling too lazy to go out to buy some! However, using a peanut butter and nutella filling works surprisingly well. These are really yummy macaroons, even if they do take a fair bit of time to make!
You will need
130g egg whites
230g icing sugar
130g almond powder or ground almonds
60g granulated sugar
cocoa powder, to dust
3 tbs peanut butter
3 tbs nutella
1 tbs cocoa powder
1. Prepare the egg whites. It is a very awkward amount, but I haven’t found a recipe that uses whole eggs so we’ll have to stick with 130g! This approximately 4 eggs.
2. Sieve the icing sugar and ground almonds into a bowl.
3. Put the eggs whites into a large bowl and whisk with an electric whisk until the eggs have the texture of shaving foam. Add the granulated sugar and whisk until it has a glossy texture.
4.Add the sifted powders into the meringue and fold in gently.
5. Pipe the mixture into small circles on several baking sheets. Try to get them more or less the same size. Lightly tap the tray on the counter to remove air bubbles and leave the trays for half an hour to form a skin. Preheat the oven to 130 degrees in a conventional oven.
6. Dust the tops with cocoa powder before cooking.
7. Bake for 12-15 minutes and then leave to cool at room temperature.
8. For the filling, whisk the peanut butter, nutella and cocoa powder together and then pipe a dollop to sandwich 2 macaroons together.